How do we, as inviduals, become a force for change within our immediate family and community thereby effecting national or even international solutions?
It begins with very simple, yet life changing, fundamental differences in attitude, thought and action and Goodwill is a powerful one to start with.
“The key to humanity’s trouble has been to take and not give, to accept and not share, to grasp and not to distribute.”
The immediate problem with which we are all are faced is the problem of finding a way to gradually counteract these base human tendencies. This we can do by initiating a new approach, namely that of a trained, imaginative, creative and practical goodwill.
It is so simple and practical that people fail to appreciate its potency or its scientific and dynamic effect. One person sincerely practising goodwill in a family can completely change the attitudes of their family members. Goodwill sincerely practiced among groups in any nation, by political and religious parties in any nation, and among the nations of the world could be revolutionary.
Definition of Goodwill
The dictionary definition of good will is simply, “1. An attitude of kindness or friendliness; benevolence. 2. Cheerful acquiescence or willingness.”
By this definition goodwill is a relatively simple expression. Many of us already recognise it and express it in our lives. It is a human attribute which lies very near the surface of expression in all people.
Historical development of Goodwill
People are rapidly developing and understanding goodwill. The world is full of movements for the relief of human distress, both within small and large communities and also nationally and internationally. There are many well-intentioned charities out there catering to the endless list of human need and distress worldwide. This goodwill now extends to animals and birds and more recently to the destruction of the environment. These testify to a new responsiveness and sensitivity within human history and a growing sense of awareness and responsibility.
In arcane understanding the first divine aspect or Ray is that of Will or Purpose, this takes several forms such as the will-to-be, the will-to-know and the will-to-good. Goodwill is a reflection of the will-to-good of this first divine aspect and presents as a loving determination or a fixed intention to bring about right human relations.
The will-to-good is the basic quality of divine purpose and involves a planned activity and a definite goal to be achieved. It necessitates the ability to think in terms of the whole, an appreciation of the next step which humanity must take in its evolution, an understanding of the lessons of the past and an intuitive perception, implemented by love and intelligently expressed.
There are an incredible large number of people who hate war, inequality, human distress, and more recently the human impact on the environment and many other issues facing humanity today, but they see no way to end them. They grieve over the economic, environmental or human distress but do not know what to do. They are also conscious of the breakdown of the many efforts towards the ameriolation of these problems.
It would be wonderful if an effort was made to find and blend into one organised whole men of goodwill, of peaceful loving intention, and intelligent kindness and goodness in the world, so they can cooperate together.
This spirit of goodwill is present in millions, and it evokes a sense of responsibility. It is found in the membership of every group which exists for world betterment, and constitutes an unused power which has never been organised into a whole, as the loyalty and effort of the individual person of goodwill has, as a rule, always been given to their organisation or endeavour.
So what would be the practical steps to achieving this?
– Begin by studying and reflecting upon the many plans and schemes which are being proposed by world leaders and thinkers. Plan a reading strategy and get to understand what is being discussed. Cultivate an intelligent opinion based on goodwill and on what you, as an individual, feel should be done. Then begin to discuss the ideas at home, among friends and in the greater sphere of life without fear or favour.
– If possible gather people together to discuss these ideas, or collaborate with those who are already doing so. Look upon every discussion as contributing to the shaping of public opinion and as a method of building up a reservoir of thought power which can be of use. If only two people cooperate with you in this matter, the effort will not be lost or futile, for you will be helping to change the content of world thought and impressing other minds, even if you do not know it.
– Extend the study to other countries and try to understand the diverse problems of those countries. With social media today we all know people in foreign lands. Communication can be started which will be strengthened by the knowledge of your goodwill or interest. This way a great network of relationships can be started which will begin to create a new harmonious world.
– If it is your way, pray constantly, and to your prayers add meditiation and reflection. In arcane terms, behind the manifest world stands its Originator, its Planner, its motivating Energy, its central Will and living Creator. Prayer, meditation and reflection reaches towards that central Will and point of Life, with the objective of blending with the sensed divine objective and identifying the individual will with the Divine Will. The divine Will-to-good can be reached by anyone whose own will-to-good is a living, practical experience, and the more that goodwill is expressed, the easier it is to discover and cooperate in the divine Plan.
– Find two other people to work with you as there is a unique potency in a triple relationship. Find two of like mind to form a goodwill traingle of light and spiritual interplay. Each of the those two will. in their turn, do the same, and thus a great network of goodwill can spread throughout the world.
– Find out and study the methods, techniques and objectives of the various groups and organisations which are interested in world change and development. You do not need to agree with all of them or with their plans and modes of working. The nature of people are different, the races and conditions are varied, and the problems to be solved will call for innumerable ways of working. However, all can play their part if based on real, sincere goodwill.
– Find and develop relationships with people of goodwill in your immediate environment. Be proactive in this matter and go out to discover them. When you find them, then be interested in what they are doing, and also endeavour to have them cooperate with your interests and activities. You will then be aware of a group which can be depended upon to work in a spirit of goodwill for world change. They will form a body of syncronised public opinion, sufficiently strong to mould ideas, influence the masses, and aid the world leaders to right and appropriate action.
The is a need today for the forming everywhere of such groups. Groups are already forming in their thousands and are to be found in every country. It is hoped that eventually they will blend and fuse together into one great movement of goodwill. Each group must necessarily be left free to proceed with its own destiny and mode of work. Unitedly, when the right time comes, these groups will issue a great manifesto to the world – identical manifestos being issued in each country by all the groups who stand for world unity and goodwill. Thus they will make the word goodwill carry power throughout the planet. Thus a band of people of goodwill will be working unitedly, yet independently, and there will be made available, in moments of world crisis, an organised, ready and world-wide public opinion of such strength and organisation that it cannot be ignored.
The old tendencies of humanity, its selfish desires, its hatreds and its separateness, its greed and its racial and national barriers, its low personal ambitions and its love of power and cruelty will gradually be replaced by a longing for right human relations, to a determination to create a better and more peaceful world and to a worldwide expression of will-to-good through the sheer weight of public opinion.
There is absolutely no reason to believe that the growth of goodwill in the world need to be a slow and gradual affair. The reverse can be the case if the people who today feel within themselves a genuine goodwill and who are free from predujice will seek each other out and work together to spread goodwill.
Goodwill is far more widespread throughout the world than people think; it simply needs to be discovered, educated and set to work.